The Thorne Hall has represented the main the institutional space of the archbishop’s palace since it was built in the 16th century. Its walls display a Neo-Renaissance decoration chosen by Cardinal Soldevila in 1907. Three balconies allow us to see river Ebro, the same views that general José Palafox had for the Peninsular War (or in Spanish War of Independence), when he disposed his military headquarters in the archbishop palace for 1808 and 1809.
The entire upper perimeter is decorated with a gallery of forty-two court portraits of prelates of Zaragoza, in which archbishops wear vestment and symbolic elements typical of their status and temperament. An exception is marked by Archbishop Manuel Ureña who poses with clergyman costume.
The collection harbours the signature of many important authors, such as Goya, Merklein, Luzán, Montañés, Alda, Gárate, Berdejo and Sister Isabel Guerra.